Homesteading, Organic Gardening, How to Farm, Preparedness, Self-Reliance
We have had a crazy busy week on the farm as we work full-time and go out on weekends and after work. We have alot of repairs to do before we can move in.
The first thing we did was change the locks - 5 on the main house and 3 on the 2nd house (that our son will occupy). We still have locks to do on the equipment shed and barn.
I worked with my son on removing the carpet from the 2nd house which was very bad and smelled strongly of pet urine. My husband repaired the kitchen sink plumbing which was being held together with wire and duct tape and leaking. He replaced the valves downstairs in the basement for the humidifier drain and the hot/cold water supply for the washer. It is all copper piping.
We tore off the ceremic tile from the main bath - due to previous water damage getting behind it. We will replace the sheetrock and existing tub with new. We tore out the paneling from the basement and the sheetrock due to mold damage. We tore out the old shower. The basement had 2 finished rooms and a bath which will be where our daughter lives. She was a huge help with the labor on this as she tore out the paneling and sheetrock. We also have electrical to do in the basement as nothing is "code" and my husband (who is an electrician by trade) wants to make everything right.
I got Grandma's bedroom painted - it looks nice. We have her closet to redo and then her room is ready.
Of course with all this de-construction the trash to haul from the basement and bathrooms has been significant. And it isn't a walkout basement so everything is upstairs, out the garage and to the trash pile. We will eventually get a dumpster but for now we're putting it all on a concrete pad so we can "size it up" for the right size dumpster to have come.
Fun things we did the first week (all of it has been fun, let me say relaxing things we did) were a camp fire and roasted marshmallows, made smores and hotdogs. We fished around the lake - have caught 3 large mouth bass (catch and release of course), seen 4 deer, a red hawk and multiple other bird species), learned to drive the tractor (my daughter and I that is-guys knew how) and hauled away trash piles with the tractor/trailer from various places on the land.
We couldn't be happier! Lot's of hard work, but so worth it. Hope to get moved in and finished with repairs by end of December.
Make a comment!