Wondering what companies have non GMO feed. I've come across some, but wondering what the farm dreams community has found.

Lightning tree feeds is a local organic feed producer we have found in the CT area.

Views: 190

Let's hear what YOU have to say about it! Reply below...

Replies to This Discussion

Great question! I'm in a similar situation and would love some more options.

Need a source. Southwest Virginia. Anyone?

Does anyone have experience raising insects/larva as a food source for pastured poultry? I´m trying to avoid grains as the main protein source for our pastured flock.

I've hung out maggot buckets and the chickens love them.

All I did was drill some large (3/8" or so) in the bottom of the bucket and all around the lower bottom (side) of the bucket and then all around the top third of the bucket. Then I put in some large leaves or straw, and on top of the leaves I let the chickens bleed into the bucket as I was processing cockerels. I also threw in the guts, etc... from processing the chickens in layers of leaves or straw. When the bucket is full I just put the lid on it and hang it in a tree about 5 feet off of the ground. 
The flies fly in the holes that are around the top (side) of the bucket and lay their eggs in the chicken remains. In about 48 hours there are big fat maggots dropping down from the bucket out of the holes that are in the bottom of the bucket.
The chickens find the maggots there under the tree and begin devouring them. Instant free protein for the flock.

Steven Farrell said:

Does anyone have experience raising insects/larva as a food source for pastured poultry? I´m trying to avoid grains as the main protein source for our pastured flock.

That is a great idea SELAH! I wonder if I could incorporate this in a chicken tractor set up... maybe have a beam run up and over the tractor front and suspend the bucket from that. But high enough the critters can't get to it. 

Do you have troubles with critters messing with it? Like Raccoons or  OPossums? I assume since it is in a tree the only access animals like this have is from the top, down the rope.

I haven't seen any evidence of any Opossums or any other critter messing with them. I let my guard dog deal with those problems. lol 

Mitchell Critel said:

That is a great idea SELAH! I wonder if I could incorporate this in a chicken tractor set up... maybe have a beam run up and over the tractor front and suspend the bucket from that. But high enough the critters can't get to it. 

Do you have troubles with critters messing with it? Like Raccoons or  OPossums? I assume since it is in a tree the only access animals like this have is from the top, down the rope.

I don't know of any non-GMO brands specifically, but a group of producers in our area decided to form a feed co-op to find local feed options. We have sources for the grains and peas plus a company that sells a mineral/enzyme supplement. Someone used the Pearson Square to figure out quantities and proportions of grain ingredients. It does require hauling trucks, storage, and a grinder/mixer. If anyone's interested I bet your local Extension ag agent would be able to help figure out the proportions for whatever local ingredients you have access to.

Marie

http://RuralLivingToday.com  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

keith replied to Cara Randall's discussion What's retirement going to be?
Mar 28
Karen Paro posted a discussion
Mar 25
Squash Hollow Farm posted a blog post
Mar 20
Oak Grove Valley Farm commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Karen Paro commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted a blog post
Mar 15
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted photos
Mar 10
Smokey Hollow Farms posted an event

Making Medicine with Herbs at Smokey Hollow Farms

April 13, 2014 from 1pm to 4pm
Mar 8
Brooke Chaplan posted a blog post
Mar 8
Ellen Peavey posted photos