I have always been one to keep a well stocked pantry but now my reason for stocking up has changed. I am curious where people buy their food storage from. I have looked into LDS buying groups but I am unsure how to go about contacting them for that reason since I am not a part of the church. Is there any group that will ship anywhere? I am  in the Northeast and not sure where to turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 667

Let's hear what YOU have to say about it! Reply below...

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andi, I have purchased from Thrive which is sold one place as shelf reliance. I am not sure it is permitted to put  a url here.

It is very good food and has a 25 yr shelf life. My pantry is well stocked and I used it for powered milk for cooking and drinking as well as other staples that I do not want to "venture out" for is the SHTF.

Not sure how LDS works but the churchs around here that offer group buying allow anyone from the surrounding communities even if they're not church members to participate.You might also want to check and see if there are any COOPs in your area that could be another avenue open for you.

I do most of my bulk storage buying at BJ's and contact area restaurants to see if they have any 5 gallon buckets with covers that I can have. Because the ones I usually can get my hands on have a pickle smell to them I line them with plastic trashbags, they can also be a good source for the 1 gallon glass & plastic jars that condiments com in as well, and most of the time these are free for the taking you just have to be able to pick up when they want you to.. Around here they either toss them or send them to recycling and if they're going to toss them are glad to pass them on.  Not sure where in the Northeast you are but here in Southern Maine there are a lot of restaurants that can be contacted for containers to use for storage, not all will give them out they have someone that picks them up but some will.

I also use the dollar stores, grocery stores, and surplus stores for my canned goods but here it pays to price compare. I have found there are somethings I can buy cheaper in the grocery store than I can in the dollar stores. I do use the dollar stores to buy most of my spices that I use because even though they are unknown brands I get more bang for my buck there. A couple other stores I use a lot for stock up buying are Sav-A-Lot  & Big Lots the only thing with them is what they have varies from trip to trip and there are some brands that my family doesn't like the taste of so if it's an unknown brand I just buy one or 2 and if they like them will go back in a couple days and stock up.

i would like to suggest the LDS cannery. You can go to their website (www.lds.org) and they will send #10 cans of basics to you for a very reasonable price. You do not need to be LDS to order. As a member of the LDS church, I want you to know that we are always happy to help anyone become better prepared to take care of themselves and their families. It is also wise to have a little extra for hungry neighbors. The food might be simple but it is nourishing and life sustaining and if you are like me, it would be difficult to see someone do without when you are able to share a little. Good luck to you!

Andi - Last year, my wife and I made it a goal to visit the local LDS cannery once a month and put up 4 cases (24 cans) a month of their long-term storage foods. Now, 48+ cases later I can tell you that this has been a wonderful way to supplement our long-term food storage with basic staples that we use most everyday.

There are canneries in most states, they are listed on the LDS web site that Laura mentioned. Each cannery is locally managed so the rules are a bit different from place to place but most allow non-chrurch members to attend canning sessions. We are not LDS members. The way our local cannery works is they set aside Wednesdays every week for running the canning lines. You show up at 9am with your order form ready (available on their website) and sign in. After a safety breifing and prayer you don your apron, gloves and hat and get your assignment at the canning line. They aggregate the orders for the group and you can everyone's food together in one run. One group is assigned for separating out the orders into individually marked boxes as they come off the canning line. It takes about 1-2 hours on average to process all the orders for those who show up. Then you pay and leave. They teach you what you need to know on the spot.

My wife is a consultant with Shelf Reliance and she sells the Thrive brand storage foods that Linda mentioned above. We have those in our storage plan as well. They have LOTS of things that LDS does not. We also put up our own bulk items in buckets with mylar liners and O2 absorbers. We do this primarily with wheat, corn and beans. I think you need to look at food storage as a "no-one-size-fits-all" proposition. Figure out what your family likes to eat. Start by buying a little extra each month of that. Then fill in any pantry space you have left with long-term storables from Shelf Reliance, LDS, and your big-box store purchases. You'll be amazed when you look back a year after starting something like this how much you have accomplished and how much reassurance it gives you.

I researched it today and found where you can order basic supplies in #10 cans from the LDS cannery. You would go online to www.store.lds.org and look at the top section that tells you about ordering food. You can only order wheat (red or white), rice, beans and oats. This is really nice to get you started on your expanding supply. Especially if you do not live close to a cannery. The important thing is to get started. I also recently purchased a vacumn sealer on Amazon and have started vacumn sealing things in smaller quantities in glass jars. I bought gallon sized canning jars for a good price at Ace Hardware, about $12 per 1/2 dozen jars. You can vacumn seal granola, nuts, smaller items that you might want in your supply but not necessarily want to buy a 50# bag!  

I wrote this piece awhile ago about storing food and wanted to share:

The decision to store food for you and your family should not be an overwhelming task.  In this ever changing world, food storage is quickly becoming a natural part of daily living.  Food storage does not require any special skills or training.  It requires commitment, planning, and organization; dedication to building and using stored food for the present and the future.  

Many people question whether the decision to start their personal food storage is worth their time and energy.  The answer is YES! One must acknowledge the sense of personal and family security after a year's supply of food has been carefully selected, labeled, and stored.  Rotating through your food storage provides comfort and knowledge that no matter what the future holds for your community or the world, you and your family will be assured of proper nutrition and a full plate.  Food and water sustains our life.  Having enough of both on hand for present and future consumption assures that you and every member of your family will never be in a position of want or need.  

To successfully engage in the goal of storing food you need only take some time and plan the easiest route to obtaining the minimum of one year of food storage.  Whether you opt to bake, can, cook and store, or buy ready-made food, incorporating your vision for the future will aide you in achieving your goal.   Below are some tips for beginning your personal food storage plan:

#1 Fill out an inventory sheet and keep it visible! This is the most important first step. You have to know what you need and will be willing to consume today and tomorrow.  Completing this inventory will prevent you from wasting time and money buying food that will not meet your objective.  Your food storage is an investment and needs to be planned in order to experience success. Compiling an inventory may take a few weeks, but be persistent!  Start by recording everything that you know you will use. You may cook something and think, "Oh wait, I will need ____." Record that information in your food storage inventory. If you don't know exactly how much you will need, start with your best estimate.  If you are cooking for three, cook for six and store the extra three servings.

#2 Experience a paradigm shift. I hear all the time that there is not enough money to buy weekly groceries while also developing and maintaining food storage. This occurs because food storage is treated as something separate from family groceries.  Quite frankly, purchasing for now and storing for future should be one in the same. You should be eating from your food supply every day. Food storage and family groceries merge when you realize that every time you walk into a supermarket you are walking into a food storage opportunity. I never walk out of a store without having contributed something to my personal home food storage.   

#3 Carefully allocate monies. Like most people these days, you likely have a weekly or monthly budget that you follow.  Re-examine your budget and your priorities.  Make storing food a priority.  

#4 Consider dehydrated foods. Dehydrated foods have an average shelve life of 15 years and you can start using the food today! When you consider the average cost of a meal to be $2.00, purchasing dehydrated food makes sense and saves dollars.  I received a free sample of this type of food from www.freefoodsamples.us.  

In closing, commit to food storage for peace of mind and personal security.  When you store food you assure that neither you nor your loved ones will ever go hungry.

Benefits:

1.)No need to keep running to the store.
2.)  No need to be deal with to price fluctuations.
3.)  No need to constantly wonder what you can prepare for a meal.
4.)  Freedom to transition to other habits.
5.)  When you have good food  on hand you won’t grab the bad stuff when you are in a hurry!
6.)  Buy more of the foods your body can appreciate with money saved by not buying junk foods.
7.)  By eating and rotating your  food storage supply, it is in fact training you to eat in your new healthier lifestyle!

Would you like to:

To have a large stock of food so it is always there when you need it?
To become less dependent on the grocery stores every week?
To have your family on a nutritious diet on a regular basis?
To purchase food on sale rather than because you ran out of something?
-To save time, money, and gas when taking less trips to the grocery store?
-To be able to sustain yourself with the food you have in your pantry if you run short of money?

Thank you so much for the link!

Laura Carpenter said:

i would like to suggest the LDS cannery. You can go to their website (www.lds.org) and they will send #10 cans of basics to you for a very reasonable price. You do not need to be LDS to order. As a member of the LDS church, I want you to know that we are always happy to help anyone become better prepared to take care of themselves and their families. It is also wise to have a little extra for hungry neighbors. The food might be simple but it is nourishing and life sustaining and if you are like me, it would be difficult to see someone do without when you are able to share a little. Good luck to you!

I have tried several times to reply to you all but for some reason my post would not go thru. I want to thank you all for the great ideas. I will be placing an order with the LDS cannery this week and I have looked it to an order with shelf reliance. Thank you for all your ideas.

Just a note about using garbage bags to line food buckets and other food storage containers:  these bags have chemicals in them you don't want touching your food.  You want FOOD grade plastic bags, instead.  Just do a search online for these and you should be able to find what you need. 

I think the lds will help you out. See if they have a cannery near you. Also i have found a wholesaler in utah that i am buying from and reselling. We were hit really bad by katrina, most everyone was unprepared for this so i am finding a market for long term food items. Thanks 

I built up my supplies by canning myself from our big gardens, and by couponing.

Go to afullcup.com, couponmom.com, moneysavingmom.com, or do a search for coupon match-ups. Couponmom.com has a tutorial you can watch on how to coupon best.  I've gotten so many items free or almost free it's unbelievable! Many canned and paper goods. I got 40 bottles of dishwashing soap for 4 cents each! They were on sale at my grocery store, so at the beginning of the week I went to ebay and bought coupons for them. The coupons came in the mail on Thursday, so I went right out and bought 40 bottles. The coupons made them free at the store, so figuring how much it cost to buy the coupons, it cost only 4 cents a bottle! Couponing is easy, it gets faster the more you do it.  Many of the sites have links to print the coupons out from your computer.  You can get just a few things a week, or buy the coupons in bulk from e-bay or other sites. I got 360 one pound boxes of spaghetti free with printed coupons. Most coupons will only print out 2 per computer. The spaghetti coupons came up as a pdf file, and asked me how many I wanted to print. I printed out a lot and made several trips to the store. The spaghetti coupons are for new sign-ups only at muellerspasta.com/coupons/list. I don't know if they will let you print as many as you want anymore. When I printed them they were 55 cents off, which doubled at my store. They were on sale for 1 dollar, making them free. The only problem I have is where to store everything!

You have some great tips using coupons.  I feel everyone should start storing food now and not wait till it is to late. Prices have been rising over the past year at an incredible rate.  Look at the prices of sugar, peanut butter and flour.  Saving money using coupons is  imperative. Not everyone knows or wants to store food by canning.  I have canned for over 30 years and enjoy it,but it does have a short shelf life. A year ago I started buying and storing dehydrated food, which has a shelf life of 15 years.  The food tastes great and is nutritious, with a cost of $1.81 per meal.  I did get a free sample , from the company and started buying and storing.  The bottom line is everyone should store food and whatever way they choose is great, but start now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

keith replied to Cara Randall's discussion What's retirement going to be?
Mar 28
Karen Paro posted a discussion
Mar 25
Squash Hollow Farm posted a blog post
Mar 20
Oak Grove Valley Farm commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Karen Paro commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted a blog post
Mar 15
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted photos
Mar 10
Smokey Hollow Farms posted an event

Making Medicine with Herbs at Smokey Hollow Farms

April 13, 2014 from 1pm to 4pm
Mar 8
Brooke Chaplan posted a blog post
Mar 8
Ellen Peavey posted photos