We moved from downtown Houston to 5 acres outside the city.  I've been homesteading for about a year.  My body hurts and I'm wondering how long it will take before it stops hurting.  This may seem trite to those who have been doing this forever, but please be easy on me because my question is legit. 

I am in my early 40s, normal body weight and no health issues.  I've never been into the gym, but have led an active life.  Or I thought so until now.  Once we moved, I realized how weak my muscles were.  They didn't have to do much work in the city and then I started using them and they rebelled.

I am seeing progress and am hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  For example, the first fall I remember spreading 50 pound bags of rye seed with a push spreader.  It took all day and I thought I was going to die.  The bags were so so heavy and the green spreader so hard to push.  The next fall I dreaded the job b/c I knew the labor and body aches.  But it wasn't hard and I didn't hurt afterward.  I know I'm getting stronger.

But every few weeks I'll take on a new job and feel it for a few days.  For those of you who started this mid-life and your body went into shock... please tell me that it goes away after you've done it a while.  And how long did it take?

Thanks,

Mrs. MacDonald

Views: 480

Let's hear what YOU have to say about it! Reply below...

Replies to This Discussion

I highly recommend CrossFit training.  I grew up on a farm then spent 30 years in the Army Infantry and now at 52, have been back on a farm for the last two years.  I have come to realize 52 ain't 22!  I hurt but based on what I am doing on my small farm and what I know of physical training, I highly recommend CrossFit (look it up on the internet).  Right now, I am doing Garden PT - it consists of using an old time broadfork to turn up a patch of ground for a garden.  Believe me, it is tough and I hurt every night, but I feel goos when I am working in my patch.  Next up, is fencing PT, for when I am done with the broadfork and tiller and fence the garden patch in so my dogs don't dig it up   Good luck to you!

Matt Winters said:

So how about some advice for those of us (in the over 40 class) who are not yet living on our dream property but planning to make that move in 2 years. Specifically, I'm looking to hire a personal trainer at my gym and ask them to develop a workout routine that would prepare me physically for the types of activity I'll be faced with when we make our move.

Would anyone be willing to to either post a list of physical activities that you do most while homesteading - or - give me some ideas of the types of stregthening exercises you might recommend if you were the trainer?

Find an exercise you enjoy doing and keep at it.  I  worked out on a low-end Total Gym for strenght and rode a  Trikke for cardio.  I chose them becasue they were relatively cheap, low impact, full-body and fun.  I haven't used them since we moved here.  Instead I do the normal farm chores every day with relatively little mechanical assits. I am stronger than ever, but my cardio endurance is a bit down.   To remedy that I am looking at taking up kettlebell or Convict Conditioning.

Chores include cutting, splitting, stacking firewood, weeding, planting, mulching, unloading 50 40-pound bags of bedding, putting 200 bales of hay into the barn before it rains, clearing brush, moving rocks, mending fences, painting, climb ladders and trees, and ...  You'll reach, stoop, bend, lift, push and pull in ways you never have before and love (almost) every minute of it.  As someone else said do everything efficiently and safely.  If you're hurt nothing gets done.

Larry.

Matt Winters said:

So how about some advice for those of us (in the over 40 class) who are not yet living on our dream property but planning to make that move in 2 years. Specifically, I'm looking to hire a personal trainer at my gym and ask them to develop a workout routine that would prepare me physically for the types of activity I'll be faced with when we make our move.

Would anyone be willing to to either post a list of physical activities that you do most while homesteading - or - give me some ideas of the types of stregthening exercises you might recommend if you were the trainer?

I just wanted to quickly second the advice for starting a little yoga routine.

Last year, after moving to a homestead, arriving in pretty poor physical shape, I found that yoga became my saving grace. I found that taking even 20 minutes in the morning to do a bit of yoga eased so many of my pains. It became so matter-of-fact; if I wanted to preform the coming day's tasks without suffering through muscle and joint pain, I had to get up early and do yoga.

These two websites have been AMAZING resources for me! They stream yoga classes on many different experience levels. Please check it out, I assure you, you won't be disappointed!  

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/yogayak?blend=1&ob=4

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

keith replied to Cara Randall's discussion What's retirement going to be?
Mar 28
Karen Paro posted a discussion
Mar 25
Squash Hollow Farm posted a blog post
Mar 20
Oak Grove Valley Farm commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Karen Paro commented on Oak Grove Valley Farm's blog post Update on Oak Grove Valley Farm
Mar 18
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted a blog post
Mar 15
Oak Grove Valley Farm posted photos
Mar 10
Smokey Hollow Farms posted an event

Making Medicine with Herbs at Smokey Hollow Farms

April 13, 2014 from 1pm to 4pm
Mar 8
Brooke Chaplan posted a blog post
Mar 8
Ellen Peavey posted photos